Saturday, June 7, 2008

Adventures In Gardening III

It's June 7, and summer has arrived fir sure! Temperatures are soaring and we're not getting hardly any rain. Despite these issues, the garden seems to be coming along fairly well. We did get a couple of local isolated showers today that totaled up to almost an inch all together. Yeah! But in general, the region is not getting any rain.
So here's the good. The onions are developing nice looking thick green tops, the carrots are putting on nice growth and coming up everywhere. About half of the broccoli is starting to head, which Cat and I are really excited about!

The lettuce and spinach that we reseeded a couple of weeks ago are really starting to put some growth on. We've been eatin loose leaf for the past two weeks, enjoying tasty salads. Squash is growing like crazy, I'm actually concerned about space with them, they are getting so large. We only had a couple of zucchini germinate, but they are getting quite large also. Peppers are starting to bloom, along with the tomatoes. The anticipation of fresh BLT's, salads, and fried squash with catfish. Yum!!!

Now for the bad. The corn germinated poorly. I think something like ten plants germinated out of 70 or so seed. Ridiculous. Needless to say, more corn has been bought and replanted. I WILL GROW CORN!!! Just maybe not this year. I have hopes that this plantin will do better since it is significantly warmer out, but it is getting fairly late into the season, so we'll see. The tomatoes are doing well, but I'm having some problems with my heirlooms. Seems like I'm getting a black fungus or something. Black spots start to develop on the leaves and then eventually kill off the blooms. I plan on doin some checking over the next few days to figure out what's going on. If anyone has an idea, please let me know. I should of taken some pictures when I was out earlier. The cabbages are getting chewed on, so we plan to spray some of the plants down with insecticidal soap before things get totally out of control. My hope is that we won't have to kill any of the tomatoes off, and the corn germinates.

The cats (animals) have no respect for the garden, but what do they respect? They're constantly walking thru it and crapping in my mulched walkways! I plan on doing a rant about them in the near future! It's hot, and it's not raining, so we'll see where things are at in two weeks. I'm hoping to get some straw to mulch the beds with soon to lock more moisture in the soil and cut down on weed growth, which is hitting record levels. I'm amazed at how quickly the broccoli heads are growing, hopefully they will be ready in another 10-14 days.
I recently bought a chainsaw to cut wood for our woodburner in the basement. An 18" 43cc Echo, some pics will be posted in the future. Hopefully not of me in an emergency room! We get a lot of wind storms on the area that knock a lot of trees down, so it's a good source of free wood. A cord cut and split around here goes for about $180, I plan on setting aside 4 cords over the summer. That of course will be based on the availability of timber. Does anyone local know if any of the national forest areas or WMA's still issue permits for wood cutting?

No comments: