Monday, June 9, 2008

Scooter the Polluter

Well, Scooter the polluter has lived up to his name! Lately, he has been feeling under the weather, seems he's got a pretty bad case of the trots. And if you're never had a cat that got the green apple splatters, then you just haven't lived yet. We noticed a couple of days ago that Scooter's little sphincter was raw and swollen, but for the most part he was fine. Things started deteriorating yesterday, he laid around a lot (not uncommon for our cats) and was not all that interested in food (very uncommon for our cats!) This morning he was laying in a box in our closet and was not very inclined to move. I was concerned, but not alarmed. I fed the other cats to see if he would get up and eat. Scooter wandered into the mudroom, sniffed his food and walked away. He stopped, screamed, and shot a small puddle of something vile out out his butt. I decided at that time that he needed to go to the Vet.



Normally not a big deal, but in light of the current financial situation, it was a burden we were trying to avoid. By the time Cat and I figured out how we were going to pay for the vet, Scooter had disappeared out the door. Most of our cats are fairly accommodating about coming when we call them, Scooter being the youngest of the lot has not quite caught on to the coming thing. I spent 10 or so minutes trying to round him up. Finally I had him in the crate, ready to go. This was not a pleasant Vet trip for scooter! His poor little swollen balloon knot was prodded with a rectal thermometer first, then they had to get a stool sample. I have to say, if someone tried to stick a proportionally sized looped stick up my bung-hole, you'd have to wrap me in a towel too
!! Scooter screamed! Loud and long, it broke my heart (Scooter is my favorite cat and Adicus' best friend). After being man handled, Scooter was able to go back into the crate, I chilled and read Mountain Xpress wondering how expensive this was going to be.



The vet came back in after about 20 minutes with a fistful of meds and an assistant with an IV, I'm thinking,"Oh crap, this is going to be a fortune!". The vet plugs up the IV between Scooters shoulders and starts pushing fluid into his back until it looked like he had a golf ball under his skin. Gave him an oral shot, gave me the directions on his meds and said See Ya. Believe it or not, my vet bill was only $75. Yeah!!! It was under a hundred! Yeah!!!



Scooter is at home now sleeping off his less than pleasant day at the vet under the bed. He still smells pretty bad, but he should be alright. As a matter of fact, he just walked by. Good, time for his medicine. Everything else on the homefront is pretty calm. I'm breaking out in poison ivy, not a good thing, particularly since I'm like super allergic to it. I think I came in contact with it on Saturday when I cut a tree up, I dunno. I do know that it started on my left forearm, is know on my chest and my leg. And I am desperately trying to keep it from spreading, or god forbid, I go systematic. Other than that, it's been a pretty typical week so far. Cat did try to kill off the garden with slow release fertilizer by leaving it on the leaves, not her fault, she didn't know any better. Been doin alot of weeding, man they go like... well.... weeds! Particularly now that it has warmed up around here. Still lookin for rain. Supposed to be a pretty good chance on Tues and Wed, but I'll believe it when I see it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Asshole. ;-)

xoxo