Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bradley Fork

Decided to hit Bradley Fork after work yesterday since the campground had been closed for paving. I figured that no one would have fished there because of it. I drove through the practically empty campground with building anticipation of the evening fun to come. I decided at the last minute to wet wade since our temps are beginning to exceed 90 already. Yikes, that's hot for this time of the year! I strung up my 2 wt with a 16 natural caddis and a 14 pt as a dropper.

I hiked to about Chastain Creek and began to fish. I was ready to go, but the fish were not really cooperating. Bradley fork has always been on of those streams that is either on or off in my past experiences. I've been there and have tore fish up, and other times like this one when I could hardly catch one. I switched flies numerous times, but just couldn't get bit much. Ended up catching 3 or 4 fish in about 2 hours of wading. Two of them were brownies, one being about 10", and the other 2 were small bows.




On the way out along the trail, I came across some Indian pipe (monotropa uniflora). Cherokee legend has that a god caught a seven clan's leaders smoking the peace pipe before an argument had been settled. Totally pissed off, he destroyed the council. As a reminder, it now grows where kin once argued.
Hiked out about two miles to get back to the truck. Not a very difficult hike at all. Jumped in the truck and headed home. Coming back along the Parkway, I had the opportunity to catch on of the sweeter sunsets I've seen in awhile. Despite a slow day on the water, seeing and being able to enjoy the sunset made the evenings efforts worth it. I feel lucky to drive to and from work on the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the chance to take in something beautiful everyday enriches my life and heals my soul.

No comments: