Monday, May 25, 2009

Bows and Browns

I decided to get out for a bit today to hit some new water above Canton that I've been eyeing for a while. The skies were overcast with rain threatening. I was happy to see this, hoping that it would keep the tourons at bay that flood the area this time of the year and help turn up some nice sized fish. I was fishing water that is a little larger than what I normally prefer, but you don't normally catch big fish in the small streams that I frequent.

Armed with my 3 wt., I tied on a new leader and then a size 12 Elk Hair Caddis with a size 12 yellow Harey Moose hanging 16" off the dry. There was a light drizzle starting as I moved down the road, looking for a convenient entry spot. Dropping down to the river bank, I noticed a large clump of fire pink blooming amongst the underbrush. This is the first of the summer wildflowers that I've seen this year. Somewhat disappointing, as it signals the end of spring is drawing near, but exciting at the same time, as we get into terrestrial season. Hoppers, beetles, ants and inch worms will be the norm at the end of my leader in not too long of a time.

I was skeptical about the quality of the water I was about to work. Running next to a road with a RV campground next to it, I didn't have high hopes for decent fish, if any fish at all. My first cast in to an eddy behind a rock, I saw nice rainbow swirl at my dry and miss. I made a second cast and he did the exact same thing. Third cast and he was finally able to get the Caddis into his mouth, netting a nice 10" wold rainbow. The smallest fish that I caught all day. Adicus and I continued moving upstream, picking up the occasional fish, most looking like twins with the one I caught earlier. The pocket water gave way to long slicks, making me a bit nervous, as I don't tend to catch many fish out of big pools.

Standing on a rock, I was casting to a seam in one of these large holes. Watching the drift, a large bow came up and nosed my caddis, one of the more frustrating things about trout. I made a few more casts
, hoping to beat the odds and get that rainbow to come back up and take the fly or my nymph. To my surprise, on my 4th cast to the same location, I got a perfect drift and Mr. Rainbow came up and smacked the crap out of my dry! Fish on! After a nice fight, I was able to land this beauty of a bow, bringing a smile to my face.

After releasing, we continued to move upstream, picking up 10" browns and bows with surprising regularity. I was having a great time despite the drizzle that was soaking me to the bone. Why I left the Gore-Tex at home I have no idea. Despite the rain, I continued fishing, because.... well, it was on! Coming to the next hole, I had a feeling that something big was living in there. It was one of those holes that just looks fishy as all get out, and it had a deep trough with a mild current running through it. On my third cast, my caddis stop
ped in mid stream before shooting down and my line began to zip through the water. I heard something I don't get to hear often fishing for my small jewels, my drag! Not a lot, but he had enough back bone to get my drag singing for a minute. After one heck of a fight, I was able to land this beauty of a brown, probably my largest this year. If you look close, you can see the harey moose hanging out of the corner of his mouth.

F
ighting the rain and having caught quit a few quality fish, I decided I had had enough fun for the day and decided to head back to the truck and try to dry out some. I had about a mile walk back to my truck, but luckily it was along a road and not a trail or back country. Unfortunately, the skies opened up completely by the time I reached the road, so I had the privilege of walking back in a complete downpour. I thought I was wet before. I was wrong, now I was wet, thoroughly. I was even soaked under my waders, but it was worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics, hate I didnt go, dedication you got is unbelievable sometimes!! It poured all day! I didnt get up til 11am, Great write and post.
Troutfreak

Anonymous said...

loving that you come home soaking wet with a big ol' grin. ;)