Friday, May 8, 2009

Rain, Rain, and more Rain

It's raining and has been for the last two weeks almost solid. As stated before, I'm not one to complain about it since we've been in a drought for the last 3 years, but holy cow! Is it ever going to take a break? Water volume in the streams is crazy, my garden is getting waterlogged, and I need to cut the grass.

I was able to get out and fish the other day on my local lake. Conditions were difficult, the lake had lost most of it's clarity and the bass we not very active. I beat the hell out of my usual spots with my fav, the zoom fluke, unweighted. I was able to manage maybe a 1/2 dozen bass before I got bored with it and rigged up the flyrod to see if any bluegill wanted to play. I checked most of the usual Miss Prissy popper with a bluegill spider as a dropper. All fish came off of the dropper to my disappointment!

Overall, the fishing was slow for this lake. Water temps have fallen a few degrees and the water was mucked up from all the rain. I usually have a visibility of 10ft or so, yesterday it was down to less than a foot and the lake was about a foot higher than normal. Tough conditions for someone who lives to sight fish!

The batteries were running low and I had had enough fun for the day, so Adicus and I headed for the ramp to load up the boat and get moving home to fix dinner. In his usual fashion, Adicus trotted up with a stick wanting to play some fetch. He had been a good boy on the boat, so I was willing to entertain him. Adicus loves fetch! He is a fetch junkie! If he had a broken leg and someone threw a stick, I honestly believe he would drag himself across the ground to get it. We spent 20 or so minutes throwing the stick in the lake, Adicus wearing himself out swimming.

A good day, but I'm starting to have withdrawal from trout streams and smallies. I like hanging out on the boat, but I really love to wade rivers and streams. I think it has something to do with the negative ions and the beauty if the streams around here. We need the rain, but I need my streams. I wish there was a little more sun intermingled with all this rain we've been getting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you know I'm a rainy day lover, and even I am *over* it.

xoxo