Thursday, May 28, 2009

Grow Garden, Grow

The benefit of all the rain we've been getting is that the garden is growing like gang busters these days! Unlike the past couple of years where we've struggled to keep the garden watered, this year is the exact opposite. I don't think the soil has dried out in two weeks, mushrooms are growing all over the garden and we're starting to have some fungus issues from all the moisture. I need to spray, both Neem and a general fungicide, but we can't get period of time that's dry long enough to do so. I have some leaf spot attacking my tomatoes and another type of leaf spot on my taters. Not out of control by any means, but if the humidity and rain don't take a break, it's gonna be a problem!

We've been
harvesting lettuce for the past few weeks and have been enjoying the fresh salad, although it would be better if the cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots didn't have to be bought. The cabbage plants are starting to head up. We bought an early variety that has a smaller head in hopes of harvesting them before it gets too warm. We will defiantly be replanting cabbage around late August for a fall crop this year, along with broccoli, spinach, and another run of lettuce. Onions are kickin right along, They are growing good tops, although they need to be weeded thoroughly.

Ah, the potatoes! My potatoes seem to be doing very well, despite being assaulted by flea beetles and some kind of leaf spot. Cat says root crops a lesson from nature to me about trusting what I can't see. I always have visions of scab covering my beloved tubers or wire worms devouring their insides while I can't see. I haven't dug into any of the hills yet, trying to have enough patience to wait until they flower and I can harvest a few new potatoes. All of the squash, zucchini, and cucumbers that were plante
d are doing good. If there is one thing that grows in the garden is squash! We had it comin out of our ears last year! I'm anticipating having some of them by the 4th of July at the latest. Mmmmm, fried squash..... The beans are up and puttin out true leaves, with more growth anticipated soon. For 2 people, we probably planted more beans than we need, but we are also hoping to can and freeze some this year. One of the reasons we planted so many potatoes and onions this year, we eat alot of em, so we devoted a lot of space for em!

And so another attempt at corn will be made this year after last years dismal results. I would like to blame it on the drought, which played a role no doubt, but more to due with not having quite enough direct light to grow it properly. We'll see, some changes have been made and maybe the all the rain will make a difference. That is, if we keep getting it into the summer. The first couple of
rows I planted are about 5-6" tall and the other 4 rows that I planted last week are just breaking through the ground now. Most of the marigold, nastrium, and other random wildflowers are starting to develop into plants or are just coming up. So, as you can see the garden is growing right along nicely.

Now, if we could only get enough of a break in the rain for me to do some prevention. I need to put some dishes with beer out tonight after it rains..... again, to knock off the slug population a bit. They've been merrily eating away at the black seeded simpson lettuce for the past week, they must die! We're trying to keep as organic as we possibly can, using Neem Insecticidal soap, organic fungicides, and what not. But I am more than prepared to escalate this affair to some seven dust if I can't keep the buggies under control. They will not win, I will defeat them!

Side dressings of the compost we made last year are being applied to most plants, with some mulch being thrown on afterwards. A lesson we learned form last year, dirt constantly splashing on the veggies and plants causes lots of problems and makes cleaning them later alot more work. So there it is, what's going on in the garden and we transition into summer over the next couple of weeks. I can almost taste the fresh BLT's!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm thinking we need to have ourselves a buggie holocaust in the garden. Those bitches are eatin' my lettuce! ;)