Thursday, May 29, 2008

Adventures In Gardening II


Things seem to being going well in the garden at the moment. Spent part of this week weeding and moving some squash seedlings around. Man, we are going to have a ton of squash this year, most of it is yellow crookneck, which works out well because it tastes soooo gooooddddd!!!! I love to dredge it in cornmeal and fry it. (Leave it to a Southerner to take something healthy and fry it!)The beds of lettuce and spinach that we replanted are rocking right along, although we did loose one of the okra transplants. And oddly enough, carrots are tuning up all over the garden. All I can figure is that they traveled on our shoes while doing other stuff around the garden before they germinated, at the moment the carrots we thought weren't going to do anything are coming up like weeds. Tomatoes all seem to be doing good, one of the cherries has started to bloom despite being only a foot tall. I wish the others would get with it, I've been dreaming of fresh BLT's for a month already!

The corn is starting to sprout...Yeah!! Although somewhat sporadically, maybe 1/5 has germinated so far. I'm trying to be patient, because each day I see more come up, but patience is not one of my best virtues. The broccoli's and cabbages are getting pretty big and it looked like a few of them might me getting ready to start heading. Don't really know, since I don't really know what I'm doing. Cat and I discussed that this would be a learning year, and boy has it been! We didn't put in near enough organic matter in the beds this year, so I've been letting the grass grow longer between cuttings and raking up the cuttings for the compost piles. I made 3 4'x4' compost bins out of chicken wire this year in hopes of completely filling all 3 by the end of summer. I'm mixing the cuttings with the endless supply of brown leaves I have around the yard, kitchen waste, and hopefully manure soon. I live down the street from a dairy farm, seems (smells) like they got plenty to spare. Occasionally I'll pick up horse apples out of the field from the neighbors horses and throw em in too. Overall it's doing pretty good.


No comments: