Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fishin Around Pisgah


Fished B.E.F. on Monday with Adicus. We left the house pretty early so we could get on the water first. Didn't really matter, we only saw 2 people camping on the hike in, other than that, we had the forest to ourselves. The hike in was absolutely beautiful, the musky scent of doghobble blooming with the occasional Vasey's Trillium (Trillium vaseyi) poking through the low spring growth . We hiked for about 40 - 50 minutes before getting into the water. I began catching the fish the moment I got into the water!



Turned out to be a very memorable day on the water. I am always amazed at how beautiful this stream is each time I fish it, and how I always seem to catch fish there. Most fish were caught on a soft hackle pheasant tail dropper (16) and a few took a size 16 yellow stimulator.



native brook trout AKA spec
Was a collection of rainbows for the most part, with the occasional spec thrown in for good measure. Decided we should head home around 3:30 and it took about an hour and a half to hike back out. I reckon I fished between 2-3 miles, and caught between 50-60 fish. Not a bad day.

No comments: