Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Who Am I ?

This is an attempt to introduce myself to the world, when I'm not sure that I can give an accurate description of that. Much discussion has been entertained in my house as of late trying to decide just who I am, but I'm sure we'll get into that aplenty later. I'm doing a blog at my wifes request, for some reason she thinks other people will find me interesting. I wonder if that's a compliment?

I'm a thirty something living in a fairly rural area of Haywood Co. in W. North Carolina by choice. I'm originally a native of Georgia (American by birth, Southern by the grace of god!) that lived in Atlanta until I realized I hated sitting in traffic, and really didn't care to be around that many people all the time. Having no real reason to live in in Atlanta (both our families had moved),I took an opportunity to take a transfer to Asheville,NC. Good decision on our part, seeing as how we already were spending all our vacation time up here anyway.

I've been married for 8 years to my soul mate ( A very bad cat). During our 11 or so years together, we've accumulated 4 cats ( 2 of which are insanely large) and one supersweet German Shepard dog, AdicusBadicus (look for him on myspace, he wants to be your friend!).


AdicusBadicus and I do almost everything together, he hikes and fishes with me, he hangs out while I work in the garden, and occasionally goes to dinner with the missus and me.

Did I mention that I fish?
That is my obsession in life at the moment. My wife would probably call it an addiction. I'll fish for anything that has fins. In my current locale, I fish for trout and smallmouth bass regularly, with regular seasonal outings for largemouth and bluegill. I fish ALOT! Living close to the best wild trout fishing in the eastern U.S. and within a 1/4 mile of a great smallie river, I plan to log over a 100 days on the water this year. That's a little lower than planned because of our exciting adventure into gardening, which seems to intrude on fishing time. That's OK, I'm kinda getting into the whole idea of being a "gentleman farmer".

Right now I work in Great Smoky Mountain National Park, which is like a dream come true for me, although I've found that dream jobs don't always have dream salaries! For the most part, I stand around and answer some of the dumbest questions in the world. An example: " How old does a deer have to be to be an elk?"-are you kidding me? This one isn't even close to the worst. Despite that, I enjoy alot of the people I meet and work with. I have always believed that you meet a better quality individual in the woods. Working in the Park is really nice because it allows me to fish after work along with eating lunch in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Well, that's pretty much my life in a reader digest format. This blog will contain topics ranging from fishing (duh), gardening, wildflowers, and a host of other bizarre subject matters. Some relevant, most not.

No comments: