Thursday, May 29, 2008

Beautiful Day Bluelining

AdicusBadicus and me decided to get out and hit some water I hadn't fished before. The morning started off cool and cloudy and I got a slight chill walking through the wet underbrush from last nights rain. The water was up and a little off color, good conditions for turning fishing into the art of catching. Hiked as far as I could and started fishing back to the truck. Had a size 16 Elk Hair Caddis (natural) with a Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail hung as a dropper. Caught a fat 8" bow on the first cast, I had to stop and smile about what was going to be a good day. We continued up the rough and tumble little stream as it dropped off ledges and rocks to form large pools, some of which I was catching 3-4 nice fish out of, and missing more.
Bows were the only type caught today, although in profuse numbers. Surprisingly, a majority of the fish were 8" or larger, and two or three of them had fat bellies! A lot of the larger fish were quite acrobatic, coming out of the water multiple times before being brought to hand. I fished until I couldn't anymore and headed back to the truck. I had only been on the water for two and a half hours and I had caught over 30 fish, with at least 20 of them being over 7", and over half of those were over 8". I can't remember ever catching that many nice sized trout out of a stream this small before. Nothing over 9" caught today, although I think the stream has the potential for larger fish. High and dirty water made some of the larger pools difficult to fish, so I definitely want to come back and and fish this little gem again!

Adicus was watching me close today, he knows he can occasionally get a deep hooked fish or two from me. And man, does he love fish! Quit the connesuer, likes all species of trout and smallmouth bass, won't touch a largemouth. I'm sure he'd eat a bluegill or shellcracker if I'd let him have one, but gave me a dirty look after he licked a carp. The downside is that he watches me like a hawk on the water. If I catch a fish, there he is, hopeing, begging, pleading that it will be gill hooked. On more that one occasion, he has grabbed a released fish on his own out of a shallow run. Adicus got a fish today, and he was very happy about the whole affair. He said, " Is like trout! Is taste gud." You'll have to excuse his poor english.... he is German after all.

No comments: