Monday, July 21, 2008

Life Goes On

And so it does. It's been a bit of a stressful, hectic, and tiring week. The motorcycle has been dominating most of my time and energy. I was able to start on the rod Cat bought me, but it will probably be this weekend before I'm able to put the finish on. I was able to get all the guides on and so far, only one wrap has come unraveled. Wasn't really that hard, definitely would have been easier than using something other than a box as a rod wrapper, hopefully that will come in the future sometime. All I have left to do is add the accent wraps, put finish on the wraps, glue in the seat, and she's set for a day on the water.

Some milestones have been bestowed upon me as far as the bike is concerned. My headlight burned out, so I've been in a maddening search for a part made for a motorcycle the same age as my wife. This was not the easiest thing to find, but alas, I was able to order one today. It's a shame that the light sucks so bad, now I'll be able to try and rig up a halogen light somehow. I had my first carb issue yesterday. Coming out of Wal-Mart, I saw a large pool of gas under the engine. A result of fuel pouring out of my overflow on my right carb. A condition caused by a float in the bowl of the carb getting stuck open somehow. Oh crap! I'm going to have to rebuild the carbs. I'm totally not prepared to do that yet. No manual, never worked on bike carbs, I was freakin!

I spent about 5 hours looking at alot of different things, trying to avoid the rebuild at all costs. I came across a few fixes that might unstick the float, so it would close again. The first was to start the engine and restrict the air flow to the carbs enough to almost stall it, and then let air return. This is supposed to increase the vacuum in the engine and pop free gunky valves and floats. Didn't work. Next solution was to start the engine with the petcock closed and run it until it almost stalls, and then turn on the fuel. The purpose of this was similar to the first fix and the results were similar ...... at first. Defeated, I went in to change for work and to run by Advanced Auto to get a can of Sea Foam. While riding, I decided to try fix #2 while the engine was under load. While riding, I shut off the petcock and ran her until she started to fade, then I switched the fuel back on. I did this two or three times, and wouldn't you know it, when I stopped at AA, the leaking had stopped, YEAH!!!! I still got a can of Sea Foam to run through the tank and the intake soon. This stuff is amazing, if you're having carb problems, try running this directly into the carbs while the engine is running. I used to do this all the time on my boats to keep the carbs from gumming up. I plan to do this as soon as I can. I planned on doing it tonight, but didn't get home til late tonight due to rain. These carbs will need to be rebuilt, but not today!

I had to ride home in the rain today. Not fun. On the plus side, I stopped at a hotel at Socco Gap, the first cover I could find, and ran into a nice guy from Kentucky that offered me a beer. We chatted for a while as it continued to rain, enjoying a refreshment and conversation. After a bit it quit raining, so I was on my way. I was moving at nice clip trying to avoid more rain I could see moving my way and had a friendly encounter with on of Maggie Valley's finest. Only a warning, thankfully. Along with all this, I almost got clipped by a turkey and I've been stung TWICE by something in the last 4 days that hurt like hell! Still, the bike rocks! So much fun, now that visions of death in every curve are easing.

Now if I can just get my ass back on the water! The garden hasn't been receiving the attention it deserves as of late either. Hopefully life will return to a normal rhythm sometime soon.

2 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

The motorcycle sounds fun, minus the bugs stinging you and uneven pavement. Maybe the shocks are not working properly? Sometimes you can find old motorcycle parts for good prices at rockymountainatv.com.

Feather Chucker said...

Thanks for the good thoughts, I just felt like venting, I really do drink a lot of water and I don't think I eat that bad. I really don't eat fried foods or meat that often. I eat more chicken than anything. I do need to incorporate more fruits and vegetables.