Monday, July 14, 2008

Man, I Love My Wife

I'm happy to announce a new category because of my wonderful wife: Rodbuilding. Seeing how tore up I was about the loss of my favorite rod because of my stupidity and Adicus doing what he was taught to do, she surprised me with a 2wt rod kit. WOW!!! I couldn't believe it. I came in last night around 10 wanting to go to Wallyworld to get epoxy to attempt a repair on my rod. When she got all weird and kept asking me if I couldn't just wait a day or two to get it. I relented and pouted a bit. This was enough for her to breakdown and tell me that she had ordered a replacement rod that I would get to build. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded, speechless, caught completely off guard.

When my rod was broken, I was just going to try and repair it. Replacing it was not even an option in my mind, due to our current financial situation. Catherine knows how important my small stream fishing is and saw how devastated I was, and surprised me wonderfully. Now I'm excited about the adventure of building a my own rod. I've never done this before, so I'm sure it will be a challenge. I don't have a wrapper, rod support, or a motorized wheel, so I'm going to be doing some rigging and old school stuff. Basically rod building on a tight budget. If anyone has any tips or hints to keep me from screwing this up, please let me know. I'm sure this will be interesting, so I'll post photos while I'm tryin this whole thing out. Hopefully it will be the beginning of a new phase of my fly fishing addiction.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Awesome!! There is nothing quite like catching a fish on a rod you built with a fly you tied!

If you go to my blog, look at the entries in May. I documented each step as I did my latest build. If you have any questions let me know. You can PM me through the forums, or e-mail me direct.

Be sure to take photos as you go.

Feather Chucker said...

Your wife must have heard, the way to a man's heart is threw his fishing rod. =)