Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Oops!

Seems I screwed up pretty big recently. Cat has been making cookies for work (for like three days), struggling a bit. Last night she had school, so I made myself breakfast for dinner. Yumm, a favorite thing in our house. In my pursuit of French Toast and eggs, I used the last of the eggs in the house. Mistake #1. Then in total stupidity, I forgot to write it on the "grocery" board, something relatively new to our house. Mistake #2.

After dinner, Cat announced she was going to go at the cookies again. OK, go for it! I had a mistake Adicus left us while at work (once again lives up to the name "Mudbutt"!). While cleaning up poop that was not mine to clean (another story for another day), Cat opens the fridge, looks at me and asks "where are the eggs?". Stupid me says " I ate em all last night". A brief glance at the grocery board that doesn't have eggs on it, and she announces she's going to the store and leaves without another word to me. From experience, I can tell you that it's not a good thing when Cat doesn't even tell me I'm in it deep. Plus, since it's late, she'll have to drive all the way to Canton, so she'll have plenty of time to stew over it. Frankly, I'm scared of whats in store for me when she returns.

In other news, I decided to drive the truck to work today. Weird. Seemed like I was going 10mph when I was going 50. I plan on riding the bike tomorrow since it's supposed to be nice out. I was also the victim of a random act of kindness today. While fiddling with the Honda trying to figure out how I'm going to mount some driving lights to supplement the headlight, my neighbour Mike and his wife walked up with an arm full of leather. Seeing that I was riding a bike everyday, he gave me an old jacket and chaps that he didn't use anymore. I didn't know what to say, graciously I accepted them. Dumbfounded at his generosity. I'm excited about not freezing in the morning anymore, maybe even avoiding being stung by bees and such, although I do like to ride without a jacket on warm days. Thanks Mike!

Tomorrow I will embark upon mounting a set of driving lights to my headlight mount. My current headlight has about as much power as a candle, something has to change or I'm going to die in a tunnel on the Parkway. No aftermarket halogen bulbs for my ancient ride, so modification is in order. This will be a quick fix until I can come up with something more permanent. The hook up shouldn't take too long, hopefully I can just tie them into my highbeam wiring. Might end up blowing my fuse. I might just hook it up directly to the power source, but I was trying to avoid mounting a toggle switch to the bike. I plan on photo documenting the whole thing, so everyone will get to see their first piece of the bike.

I was able to finish up the accent wraps on the rod tonight. Holy Cripes! Those things almost made me crazy! They kept coming unraveled, sometimes immediately, sometimes 20 minutes later. Grrrrrrr! Alas, it is done. All that is left is putting some script on it, rod finish, and mounting the handle. I have a three day weekend this week, so I'm hopin to break her in by Sunday, need to get the finish on tomorrow so it has time to cure. I've already been thinking of where I want to take her, gotta be somewhere good.

Back to the leather. I tried it all on and it's a bit large on me, but not too bad, definitely wearable. Although, I feel kinda weird wearing leather chaps. Who knows, maybe it will look badass on the bike. In general, I feel like I'm going to a Village People concert or something. I'm sure the benefits will outway the way I think I look, but even Cat mentioned how odd it was to see me in that much leather. I think she likes the bad boy thing! Although she's told me to shut up about the bike, but she does that about all my new toys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we were talking just a few nights ago about how as we get older (and are married longer), there are less and less things that are worth upsetting the apple cart over.

I was pissed. I was irritated. I was also tired, and my base level of irritation was already high because of how I struggled with the cookies all week. That had nothing to do with you, so it didn't seem fair to react with as much intensity as I wanted to.

Once I got in the car, I realized that I could either get really pissed off, argue with you, stay up half the night making cookies and then sleep like hell because I was wound up, or I could enjoy a nice drive on a warm summer evening and just get over it.

Obviously I chose the latter.

The only thing I really have left to say about it is this: Your fishing has no benefit to me directly. I benefit from your fishing because it makes you so happy. The cookies weren't just about a coworker's birthday. They were about displaying my prowess as a baker, which is something I mastered long before I even thought about learning to cook real food, like meat. Which you well know. I've taken on a passion in my cooking and baking, and when you're a picky ass about what you'll clean in the kitch or you don't pay attention and end up eating my ingredients without even telling me, it makes me feel like you're a selfish shit who can't understand that you need to support my cooking the way I support your fishing. You've been fishing longer than I've been cooking, but I won't ever get to the point you're at without your support. It hurts my feelings when I feel like you don't care about what's important to me.

I also decided driving home that I was probably over-complicating things. For chrissakes, you were just hungry for eggs. Is there a better example of the differences between the male and female perception of events? I doubt it.

I love you!

Ryan said...

One tip on the rod finish - multiple light coats typically gives a much nicer finish than a single, thicker finish. I prefer multiple coats, very lightly building up to my final thickness.