Sunday, February 22, 2009

I Hate WInter!

It's cold out. Something like 20 degree cold with a 20+ mph wind. BRRRRR!!! Every one's getting cranky, the cat's are driving us crazy, the dog is getting squirley! Snow.... seen it, been in it, done with it! I have a bad tendency to become very lethargic during winter. Mainly, I tie flies, read books, and bitch about when it's going to start warming up.

My hats off to all of you who live farther north. If our winters were any longer or more severe, I think I might shoot myself. My in-laws live in Saginaw, Mi, and sounds like total lunacy! Growing up in the South, I'm used to wearing shorts in March, sometimes in late Feb. Moving up to the mountains was a bit of a shocker, I almost missed spring our first year here because I thought it was still winter.

In the end, things work out better. Fishing doesn't really heat up til April, which allows me to do something with Cat for our Anniversary. Then I'm fishin or workin till sometime around mid June. I just long for the warm, earthy smell of early spring blowing down a mountain stream. To see the first blood root poking thru the undercover. But alas, March will be here before long; with it's early hatches, wildflowers, and ever unpredictable weather. That characteristic neon green color that signals the rebirth of the woods. Red buds blooming, birds chirping, and of coarse, trout taking flies readily. Would Spring be as wonderful without winter, I doubt it.
Rumor has it that it's supposed to hit the 60's this week. Sweet!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I live in upstate NY - and yes I think I'm crazy for that. Winter can start in October - we have had several major storms early in October in my lifetime. 2 years ago we had a noreaster on Valentines Day that buried us under nearly 3 feet of snow and just as we thought it was over St. Patty's day brought another noreaster and 2ish feet of snow . We regularly still have snow in April and sometimes (once I can remember) freak storms into May.

I think where you live is perfect! You still have winter but it's much shorter! LOL