Friday, February 20, 2009

Omaha Stylee



311 IS COMING TO ASHEVILLE ...
AGAIN!!!!!


My absolutely wonderful wife procured us two tickets for 311 at the Orange Peel in Asheville, in May! I'm ecstatic, as is Cat. I might be a little bit more excited, but she'd be running close behind me. I think this will be my 13th or 14th and Cat's 8th or 9th time seeing them live. Anyone who knows me is keenly aware of my obsessive nature. (take fishing as an example) It's no different here. I have copies of all of their CD's, including 3 unreleased albums. 9 times out of 10, if you're in the truck, I've got 311 playin....loudly.
Why is it so great that they are at The Peel? It only holds like 500 people, WHAT? Only 500? Last time we saw them there, we were within 25 ft of the stage. That and the Orange Peel is a great place to see a band play.
The last time Cat and I saw them was in New Orleans for 311 day on March 11 (3-11). This will now become a pilgrimage we make every other year, and because they only do it every other year.


So what is 311 day? 5 plus hours of total bliss. I think they played something like 63 songs. I was absolutely worn out afterwards. I'm sure Cat will elaborate on my declining to go party on Bourbon St after the show. What can you even say about a band that puts on a show like that for their fans? It's 311's vibe in a nutshell. Peace, love, and harmony. All laid out on edgy guitar rifts, some jammin drums, unbelievable bass lines, with an unmistakable reggae undercurrent.
Grassroots, their first major release, is still by far my favorite album, with Omaha Stylee being my favorite song. Other favs are 8:16AM, My Stony Baby, Large in the Margin...... This list could go on for a while. It's rare that I skip a song when I'm jammin out to them.
Well, I think that's enough random rambling. If you ever get a chance to listen to their music, do. If you get into STP, Incubus, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Finger 11, you'll love 311.
311 ROCKS!!!!

Peace





No comments: