Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's all running together!

Fishing is at full swing here as spring has busted wide open. The fish are literally throwing themselves on hooks and I'm in the water 6 days a week. It's all starting to run together. I can't seem to get enough time to post reports, so I'm combining a few.

I met up with KYflyfisher on Sat in Greenbriar in the Smokies. This is an annual pilgrimage for Cat and I. Fishing for me, wildflowers for Cat. If you have never been to Smoky Mountain National Park in late April- early May, you are missing one of the most incredible things experiences in the world! We arrived around 8am and I met up with James. Thankfully, he decided to go buy some felt soled boots, which made
me feel a lot better, knowing the chances of me preforming CPR on him for busting his head on a rock less likely. We chatted a bit about the day and headed out to catch some fish.

We started out fishing some of the larger water on Middle Prong, working on skills and casting. Not being a fan of large water, I was anxious to move into the smaller tributaries. KY and I fished together til about noon and then it was time for me to meet up with Cat, who had been tromping all over Porter's Creek taking wildflower photo's and talking to random people. (Remember to watch out for that one eyed rattler back in the woods!) We had an EXCELLENT picnic along the creek, enjoying be out with each other on a beautiful spring day.

After lunch, I continued fishing Middle Prong up to the Ramsey Cascade trail head. The crack of thunder could be heard and it looked like rain was on it's way. Knowing we had plans for the evening with friends (swine was being smoked!), I decided to call it a day. Overall, fishing was good, not great, but good. Lots of sweet little rainbows were brought to hand, but nothing large. Another great day in the Smokies!



Yesterday, Adicus and I headed out to the our favorite little smallmouth river. Fishing was great. Tons of dink smallies were caught, along with with a few larger ones. Nothing huge, but a great day on the water non the less. Surprise of the day was a 16" rainbow that took my chartreuse roostertail, my first bow in this river. He was hooked deep and bleeding, so Adicus got a snack! And yes, I was using my spinning rod, I'm a lazy smallmouth fisherman in the spring!

Adicus struggled some in a new section of the river that we fished. The current was fast and the water was knee deep, he couldn't touch the bottom and was losing ground quick! I had to actually back up, grab him by the scruff if the neck and drag him upstream. I have never seen the look of panic in Adicus' eyes, but it was there as he paddled as hard as he could, making no headway. I really have no idea how many fish were caught, but it was a lot. I was taking 7" smallies off the hook nonstop. Where were the big boys and girls? Maybe they are starting to settle into their spawn? I know I have no interest in food when it's spawn time for me!

No comments: