Thursday, April 23, 2009

Smallie Smackdown!!

Went with Adicus down to my favorite section of my local smallmouth river today to see what was going on with the spawn. I rigged up my med action spin rod with a brown/ orange slash bait and hit the water. As is usual, I made a few quick casts into my "test" pool to see if the fishies were active. My second cast netted a solid 14" smallie that took the lure with out a second look.

The water is still high from the spring rains, so wading remained difficult if not still a bit dangerous. I moved down to a reliable hole that usually holds fish and began to do my thing while Adicus romped around on the bank. Fishing was easy today. Cast, work the pools deep, catch fish. Nice sized smallies in the 13"-16" range kept impaling themselves upon my hooks, bringing grins to my face. I always enjoy fishing for smallmouth here. I fish this section 50+ times a year, so I know it like the back of my hand. The best lays are known that regularly hold nice sized fish. I know in the spring, they're hanging out in bigger pools, moving into faster water and riffles as temps continue to rise.

I moved upstream to one of the most consistent pockets I know of. A small deep hole, I've caught as many as 5, 3lb+ fish out of it in one day. I made my cast with anticipation, fingers almost trembling, waiting for the whack of a big smallie taking the lure. Wai
ting, waiting, waiting, nothing. A couple of more casts and not even a hit. Disillusioned, I realized a high volume of water was moving through the run, so i began casting into the slack water to the left. One my second cast, while reeling it back, it just stopped. I'm thinking rock. I gave it a nice tug only to become aware that you can't feel a rock shake it's head.

As this realization hit, drag began to sing, as a very nice smallie began to take control of the situation. Bulleting into the faster water for leverage, this guy acted like this had happened before and knew what to do.
Diving under rocks, running through rapids trying to throw the hook. I climbed up on a rock to gain some control back, since Mr. Bronzeback was 30 ft downstream through a fast current and big chunk rock. I was able to work him out of the fast water into the pocket behind the rock I'm standing on, slowly slipping my thumb into his mouth, claiming my victory. This was one hoss bass! I'm gonna say about 3lbs. give or take a few ounces. Thank you sir, you made my day!

The rest of the day continued as before. Walking between deeper pools and holes, catching nice bass out of each one. It was an absolutely beautiful day on the water. Spring has finally taken hold and things are begging to happen. Geese are on the nests and I think the river bass will be moving that direction soon. All together, I caught around 50 smallies today, 3 or 4 rockbass, and one lone brim. Great day.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Sounds like a great trip. I've been out a couple times for Smallies this month, but they have not been active yet. Tonight at the lake the Crappie and Bluegill were moving pretty well - indicates it is time to try for the Smallies again. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite freshwater fish on the fly!

Feather Chucker said...

Spinning rod? hmm they don't count on those. =) jk