Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Fishing Partner

A recent thread on a message board I follow was asking about whether people take their dog fishing or not. There were some interesting replies, but for the most part, it got me to thinking about why it is so important for me to take my dog , Adicus, fishing with me. Enough so that I really don't fish in the National Park anymore because I can't take him with me, and Smoky Mnt Nat Park is the SHIT for wild trout! There might be a few "fringe" streams that he ends up on from time to time, but for the most part, I only make the occasional trip each year into the Park without him.

When Cat and I got Adicus, one of the ways we intended to exercise him was
by taking him out on the water with me. I think he was 8 weeks old when we got him. All I really remember was that he was a black little fur ball full of curiosity and energy. His first adventure in water was within two weeks of him coming into our house. I took him down to the creek below Lake Junaluska damn and played with him in the gravel runs on the side of the creek. In his usual fashion, biting off a bit more than he could chew, getting knocked under by fast water.

Within a week or two of that and after some more exposure, Adicus began to accompany me on fishing trips into the backcountry. I call them fishing tri
ps tentatively, as they involved a little more in the way of cussing and training sessions than actual fishing. I can remember coming home and discussing with Cat as to whether this whole dog thing was going to work or not, fishing was going to hell because he was blowing all my holes. Slowly, through much persistence, repetition, and love, I was able to establish some basic rules with him.

Rule #1: he is never allowed ahead of me while we are fishing, ever. Doing so results in an immediate consequence.
Rule #2: he's not allowed to go running like a bat out of hell after any critters that happen by. This was a big issue for a whi
le. We had a "situation" on the Pigeon one day while fishing for smallies, in which a fawn was chased half across the county, but I was able to get it under control with the use of a signal/shock collar. Last week a fox was crossing a stream below us, he barked a bit, but didn't run. Good Stuff.

Since all that, he's turned into the best fishing partner you could ask for! I feel guilty when I don't take him with me. I'm already anticipating the sour mood he'll be in Saturday when he figures out I was fishing without him in the Park. He has a habit of sniffing me when I come home, if I smell like fish, he gets pissy. Damn dog! When he gets in moods like that, he has a history of destroying things important to me. We won't even get into that!

Over the past couple of years, I look forward to spending time with him on the water. I don't have to share any water with him, he never complains about going h
ome, he lets me know if someone is near me, what more could you ask for. He likes to get close when we're on the boat on the front deck, literally leaning into me, but there are worse things in the world. And contrary to some beliefs, my catch rates have remained the same as pre-Adicus periods, maybe even a little better.

I've also found out that he is quite the fish aficionado. Last spring while fishing the Pigeon, I hooked up with a nice 15" smallie, and released him into a shallow run. Not paying attention, I just kinda tossed it. The next thing I knew, Adicus was charging through the shallows like a bear, impressing me by coming up with the fish in mouth. To this day I regret not taking a photo of that smallie hanging out of both sides of his mouth! Even more surprising was the fact that he proceeded to eat the smallie complete and whole. Wow! Adicus likes trout of any species, smallies, but not largemouth. Go figure, I always thought they tasted like shit too! He now watches me anxiously when I release a fish in hopes that it will be deep hooked and he might get a shot at it!

I personally had no idea it was possible to have a bond with an animal like I do with Adicus-Badicus. I beam with pride when someone comments on how well-behaved he is or how
beautiful he is. I smile when I see how excited he gets when I start getting gear together,strategically placing himself next to the truck so I don't forget him. Whining like a little girl when we're driving down a dirt road next to water, or to the extraordinary lengths he sometimes goes through to be near me when I'm fishing. He's a spoiled turd no doubt, but it is well earned! Not all dogs are meant to go fishing, but with patience and training, most dogs can accomplish more than you think. They'll love the time they spend with you, and have more fulfilling lives being well trained. Love your dog and take him out to play!

2 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

I wish more people read your blog, too many dogs are neglected. I've seen so many that just want to be taken for a walk and are left at home tied up.

Anonymous said...

never complains about going home, huh? well, you better be careful, there, darlin, or you'll soon realize that no, he doesn't complain about going home, but he isn't soft in all the right places, either. And I smell better. catch my drift, there, fish whisperer?