Monday, April 6, 2009

Snowy Smallies

So I'm sitting around today with not a whole lot to do, and I'm thinking to myself, "sure would be nice to catch some fat smallies today!". Well, after reading all the recent posts about guys gettin in on all the fat prespawn smallies, I decided I'd wander down to my local river and see what was moving around. Seein as it was starting to flurry with a nice 20mph wind, I decided to forgo the fly rod for the spin rod.

I tied on a watermelon Zoom Fat Albert grub on a red/white jig head, put on the waders, threw the dog in the truck and headed down the road. The area I enter the river has a smacky hole that usually gives me a pretty good idea of what kind of day I'm going to have. On my second cast, a solid 15" smallie smacked my grub and began to clear the surface. A large grin spread across my face! Gonna be a good day. I worked what I could from the banks, trying to avoid the inevitable entry into the water and the winds ripping upstream. I moved out to one of my better holes, standing knee deep, hands numb from the cold. Casting upstream, I reeled back slowly bumping rocks on the bottom, picking up two rock bass ( one being almost 11", and three smallies averaging 15".


Adicus and I continued to move downstream towards another good hole, moving slowly because of the current and the very real possibility of falling in. We worked our way around to the back of the pool to slowly pick the bottom apart. After catching a few small bass, I was pleased to tie into a fat brown trout, on a grub. This is not the first time I've caught trout in this river, but definitely the first time with a grub.I tried to get a photo, but he wiggled free before I could work it all out. Shame, pretty fish! I decided to end the day there. My fingers were numb, actually starting to burn. It had been an hour, conditions were deteriorating, and I was loosing my enthusiasm. I had accomplished my mission, 5 smallies over 14", 3 rockbass, and one fat brown trout. Not bad for an hour in crappy weather.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Okay, I am now jealous. I keep going out, trying to force the fish. The Smallies are just not running yet here. But I have the fever...

modernhillbilly said...

It was sick! Had a blast. Take a spin rod next time. I promise it won't kill you!

Feather Chucker said...

I wonder where those trout go in the summer. I've heard people catching them in the New near Boone too. I guess they run up feeder creeks to cooler waters in the summer.

modernhillbilly said...

That's my guess. There are some stock streams that feed in to the river a few miles away. Pretty sure it was a stocked trout in the past, colors were not quite right.

I've never caught a trout out of the river smaller than 15", but that prob has more to do with them hitting bass flies and whatnot. While I was fishing yesterday, there was a hatch of BWO coming off and fish were rising. I need to go out there with trout flies before the water warms up and see whats up with the trout pop. this time of year.