Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Is It Really Here?

The smells of spring are in the air. The very first of our trees are just starting to put out leaves, water and ground temps are on the rise, days are getting longer. Oh how I rejoice at the beginning of spring. The end of the dreary doldrums of winter, in with the renewal of life, including my own! The despondency of winter always wears me down. I become lethargic and lazy, not wanting to do much. Other than NOT be cold!

Well, I ain't cold now baby! I cut my grass today for the first time this year. I'm always much more excited about it now than I will be in October! I also finished prepping the garden for planting today. A little late, but not really. It was below freezing the night before last, so I'm not upset at all that we waited an extra 2 weeks to put anything in the ground. The frost free date for our area isn't until May 15, so mid May is when we put out our warm weather crops. On this weekends agenda; lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, onions, shallots, and taters. I'm so excited I can't wait!

Because of lack of hours at work, I've been able to almost completely clear my "6 week" to-do list! Only a few things still remain in it, so I should be able to finish it before mid April, just in time for the trout and smallies to turn on with the leaf out! I've been tying flies 5 nights a week trying to get them ready in time for the crazy days of spring. I've been knocking out almost a dozen a night, so things are looking good there also. Now I just need to get it all organized before Cat and I go on our anniversary camping trip, which will probably be next weekend.

The only big projects remaining are changing the brakes on my truck, which I'll do as soon as I can get the pads and shoes. And to start the work I need to do on the bike. I'm getting anxious about starting on her, with the weather getting nicer, the desire to go cruisin is getting almost too strong to bare. I just have to find out why I'm leaking oil and why she runs so hot. I'm shooting to have her road ready by May, but we'll see. Enough for now, time to tie flies!

1 comment:

Feather Chucker said...

I was super excited for spring too this year. I think it's because we had a exceptionally cold winter in Raleihg.