Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Procrastination Pays Off

I've been dreading turning the garden this year due to the death of our community tiller. Nightmares have haunted me since I found out that me and a mattock would be spending 2 or 3 days of quality time together. I've been putting it off, finding any excuse to avoid the labor of turning almost 1000sq ft by hand.

Cat and I were going to rent a tiller today and take advantage of the good weather, and get the garden turned before it started raining later this week. Last night,I was walking into the kitchen, getting ready to start dinner, when I thought I heard someone mowing my backyard. I looked out the window, and low and behold, it was Jeff bringing the previously dead tiller to the house. Yeah! My prayers have been answered. The nightmares can end!

I got up this morning and tilled the whole garden. It was also enlarged by about 2 1/2 feet along the longest side. I'm still working on setting the paths and will hopefully be laying down the mulch to cover them sometime real soon. The weather will play a big roll in that. But, I am very pleased that the garden is turned, its done and over with. Once the paths are set, the fun can begin. I'm guessing we'll plant early crops in another 2 weeks, with the main effort coming in the first week of May. Who knows, but there are rumors of seed buying going on this weekend!

So see, procrastination does sometimes payoff. I'd be ultra peeved if I had just turned 3/4 of it by hand, only to have the tiller turn up!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Unfortunately I turned most of mine by hand since the tiller would not start. When I got to the last box, the tiller decided to cooperate. Figures.

We bought our seeds a few days ago - I'm hoping to have the early season crops planted in the next week or so.