Monday, March 9, 2009

Whats Happenin Now

It's 74 degrees outside and has been for the past few days, this being the reason that I haven't posted in a few days. The doldrums of winter have seemed to have passed and I'm getting back into some sort of groove. Chores are getting done, projects are getting good sized chunks knocked out of them. Man I love spring! But alas, I fear it has showed up too early.

Early trees are starting to bloom, crocus and daffodils are coming up, but it's getting too warm too quick. This time last week the high was in the 20's and we had 8" of snow on the ground. Hard freezes have a tendency to come here as late as April, even in early May on rare occasion. On very rare occasion, as much as 40" of snow have fallen in late March. Accuweather is showing a couple of pretty cold nights next week, lows into the low 20's. Depending on other factors and how warm it is until then, it has the potential to decimate the wildflowers. Happened two years ago. I hate to be pessimistic, but it's just too warm too soon.

I was able to get out and fish on Friday in the nice weather. I headed above Canton to the DH around Burnette Siding. I fished for a bit, wrestled in maybe a 1/2 dozen fish before I came to a realization. I really don't like fishin delayed harvest waters. I don't fish the same way that I do for wild fish. I tend to fish trash flies and frankly, I don't like sharing water with other people. When I can see someone above me and below me, it's time to go somewhere else. I headed up the road and went for a hike to check out some streams I'm wanting to fish this year. Adicus and I ended up going for about a 6 mile hike and checked out two streams, both with great potential. Being all excited about the spring fishing season, I came home and made a realistic list of streams I want to fish this year. I probably won't be spending a huge amount of time in SMNP this year. Instead I plan on focusing on the Pigeon river watershed almost exclusively this year. It's close to home, has some awesome opportunities, and I can always take Adicus with me.

Needless to say, I'm excited about spring finally rearing it's head around hear. Even if winter still might make another appearance. I still have alot of things to do around the house before I go fishing crazy, so the weather is all good. I'm having to rustle up a tiller to use in the garden this year (the community tiller seized up), so things are progressing very slowly in the garden. If any of you local readers have a tiller, maybe we could make a deal of some sort for a weekends use? Just shoot me an email, if someone is so gracious! Well enough for know, Cat's snoozing on the couch after having her root canal this afternoon. I need to cook dinner and get a few other things done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please leave your pessimism off of my wildflowers.

Thanks. Love you. :)