Tuesday, March 17, 2009

When Worlds Collide

It sometimes amazes me that Cat and I can live together. I mean, it's like we're from different planets or something. Don't get me wrong, we have many things in common, but when it comes to personal taste, it's like we tried to find someone as opposite from each other as possible.

Let's take music for example. On any given day, I'll hear Cat pull up in the driveway with her stereo blaring Cindey Lauper, Madonna, cheesy love songs, or basically anything from the early eighties. Music only in the most literal sense, in my opinion. Over the years, I've been able to foster a love in her for 311 and there are a few other bands that she'll listen to that don't make me want to vomit. Right now I'm trying to get her into Incubus, but she's still a little hesitant about them. I on the other hand listen to a lot of metal (i.e. old Metallica, G-N-R, Foo Fighters), Alternative, bluegrass, Some classical, and for the big shocker... Gordon Lightfoot! He's the man! The first time she heard me listening to one of his cd's, I was mocked, ridiculed, and laughed at by my love that has such good taste in music. Within two years, she was making hotel reservations for us in D.C. to see him live at Wolf Trap Arena.
Canadian Railroad Trilogy is one of the most bitchin songs ever!

Another area of contention in our life is what we watch on TV. I'll admit, I'm one of the biggest TV nerds you will find. If we only got the Science Channel, Discovery, the History channel, History International, and the Food Network, it wouldn't phase me one bit. Cat on the other hand is a reality TV junkie. Anything from Dr Phil to Big Brother, and any other reality crap that catches her attention. Much to my disdain, it's should be about time to suffer through yet another season of Big Brother. : ( When she's not watching reality shows, you can find her vegging out on the couch watching other great shows such as Wings, the Golden Girls, or some distrurbing man hating movie on Lifetime channel. Needless to say, we argue over whats in the TV. To my distress, there are even a few shows I hate that she WILL NOT watch without me, because she loves my constant bantering at the TV.

So what will we watch together? Lost, Hell's Kitchen, Scrubs, Anthony Bourdain, to list a few, if not most. MASH ends up on the tube a lot around here, despite Cat owning the box set, of which she's watched every episode, in order. But we still watch a lot of MASH. A little secret, if Allen Alda wasn't all old and liver spotted, Cat would jump on him in a heart beat! I guess it's a good the she finds skinny, dark haired, smart asses so attractive!

So, what's the moral to this story? Differences create interest, diversity, and constantly causes us to push the boundaries of our comfort zones. Cat is a very dramatic, organized, goal oriented type of woman. I'm a very rational, spontaneous, let fate happen kind of guy. On most "big" issues we agree, but after that, all bets are off. Because of our differences, we are much more willing to do things we normally would not try, try different foods, and listen to different opinions. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Congratulations are in order for Cat on her 2 year "blogaversary" for her blog CatTails. While I did't think it was the greatest idea to uncap the crazy online, you've found an outlet for your thoughts (no matter how distressing) and an audience appreciates your unique perspective of the world around you. You Rock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww! How sweet! :) You're so good to me....

I kind of can't believe you just told the whole internet about my crap tv habits AND my perpetual crush on Alan Alda. Over the past two years, though, you've been very tolerate about letting me share our life, so I guess in a weird way, I'm kind of proud.

:*